So a lot of you practicing to play faster, including myself. I do think that a guitar player in most genres of music should get to a certain dexterity to make his ideas more interesting and add some spice to some old phrases.
Here are a few tips to make the practice more beneficial :
1. Instead of practicing with a metronome practice with drum machine you will feel the groove and you will develop sense of time. Think about it you will never play with metronome on stage.
2. Play in all kinds of durations and patterns not only eight boring notes.
3. Practice in all kinds of meters not only in 4/4
4. Set the BPM high and play slow and vise versa
5.play with background chord progression that way you are practicing scales, modes, arpeggios and play fast kill to birds with one stone.
6. Start with comfortable BPM but not too comfortable and increase it as you are warming up.
7. Play sixteen note as fast as you can and WITHOUT stopping play slower… great exercise to develop right hand control!